Saturday, September 22, 2012

Changing eating behaviors


I was driving down the street today near my house and I spotted a fast food place where I would often get food on the go.  It started me thinking about what I used to eat.  Here's an example from three different places to give you an idea of how my food choices got me up to 417 pounds:
  • Jack in the Box's Sourdough Jack Hamburger and order of Medium Fries:  Combined total of 1131 calories, 61g fat, 2271mg sodium and 99g carbs.  This doesn't include the diet Coke I'd always order with it.
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken's 2 piece meal with Original Recipe breast and thigh, coleslaw and macaroni & cheese:  Combined total of 950 calories, 55g fat, 2680mg sodium and 37g carbs.
  • Pick Up Stix's (Chinese food) orange chicken with fried rice:  1115 calories, 1985mg sodium and 136g carbs.

Each one of these items would be just one meal, perhaps a lunch or dinner.  If I had a burger and fries at Jack in the Box during lunch and then had orange chicken and fried rice at dinner, I'd be at almost 2250 calories for just these two meals, not counting breakfast or any other food.

That's scary stuff to me.  I can't go back to that world of insanity, which is really what it is, pure and simple.  The taste may seem delish right now, but I can't do that to my body any longer.  I've worked really hard to get to this spot and I need to be more aware of food when the time comes for me to eat it again.  This is exactly why it is important to keep a food journal along the way so that we can see exactly what we're putting into our bodies.  I really don't have any desire to be so haphazard about my weight any longer.  As tedious as the thought of writing down every food that I will eat seems to me, it's much better than the alternative - gaining the weight back and then extra as a back-up for those "just in case" moments.  Having excess weight doesn't just happen to any of us, it's all about how we're coping with life, whether the addiction is food, overexercising, gambling, sex or whatever else.  At the end of the day, that's all the same, just manifested in different ways.  I want real, lasting change to occur.

0 comments:

Post a Comment