Thursday, April 26, 2012

Medical news

Yesterday was an extremely difficult day for me.  I went to see my doctor for a regular worker's comp appointment.  He had a grim look on his face and I knew something was wrong.  I received some pretty devastating news as to what is going on with my body, including the likelihood that I may have thyroid cancer.  I was ordered to contact my family doctor right away to have a sonogram to determine what's going on and a biopsy if necessary.  If it is cancer, and that's a big if right now, it's highly curable.  That much I heard when he was talking to me, but my heart sunk because I had cancer last year.  Not the same kind, but the scare of cancer is a huge scare, I don't care what kind you have.  The doctor handed me the reports and assured me everything was going to be okay.

I went back to work in a daze.  After the year I have had, I didn't think anything more could possibly be piled on.  I think maybe God feels like I'm the Rock of Gibraltar, seriously.  I am so glad I have faith, though, because I would be feeling very alone right about now.  I couldn't function at work with my head going in a million different places so I left.  When I got home, I started looking up the conditions online and then I started to cry.  I cried some more when I was taking a shower this morning, feeling pretty overwhelmed.  I texted my supervisor last night and asked if I could meet with him first thing this morning.  I told him what was going on because I have a feeling I'm going to have to be at a lot of doctor's appointments and he was so compassionate towards me, which made me cry again.  Now, two of my friends that I work with read this blog.  If this is the first that you are learning about this because I haven't told you in person yet, I do apologize for that.  I am trying to put one foot in front of the other and learn more before I say what's going on.  I almost wanted to tell the two of you after our meeting this morning, but had a lump in my throat. 

I can say I am very grateful for the fact that I am not in the food right now.  Thank you God that I am doing Optifast, thank you God.  That is something I do have power over - whether or not I will eat or whether or not I will continue to take good care of my body.  I am committed to doing things differently, so the thought of having food today has not even entered my mind as an option.  That's major progress.  For the moment, I am hanging in there and hopefully will know more soon.  If you are a person that prays, please say a prayer for me.  I just would ask that God give me courage and strength to face whatever is right in front of me and continued faith to help me walk through this. Sorry to be so elusive, but I really want to talk to doctors first to see what I'm dealing with, not just what I found on Web MD.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

A huge hug for you on this very difficult day. Know that you are in my prayers and that God is looking out for you. I am here if you need me.

Kathy said...

Thank you Melissa. I went and had an ultrasound tonight to find out what's going on with the thyroid, so at least that's a step forward.

Truth Teller said...

Oh wow Kathy I just saw this. Take one day at a time. Don't get ahead of yourself. What is your industry that you have problems related to it? i will pray for you to have the strength and positivity and endurance to face whatever you must. Hugs to you. xo
Psalm 103:1-4: "Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits- who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion."

Kathy said...

Thank you for this. I needed to see that scripture, helping me to remember that God is the Great Healer. I work in a high school. Thankfully the school year will be over in about 6 weeks, so I can concentrate on healing.

Truth Teller said...

That's positive thinking! Sending you healing thoughts.

Post a Comment