Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I need to confess to an affair I've been having

I've been carrying around a secret and I just need to confess right here and now.  I have been having an affair.  It has left me with a lot of shame and it's a secret I need to let go of.  I have been having an affair, but it's not with who you think it is.  I have been having an illicit romance with ... my bathroom scale.  [I know I tricked you, but got your attention, didn't I??]

When I started Optifast, our group's counselor told us to only weigh ourselves once a week in the clinic and to not do it at home so that we don't get obsessed with the numbers and to make sure that the numbers were accurate by being on the same scale.  And, at first, I didn't weigh myself at home.  But as time went on and I was starting to drop serious weight, I was getting some sort of satisfaction with seeing the drastic losses on the scale.  Yet, when I would go to the clinic and the numbers were not exactly the same, it would mess with my head.  Soon, my worth as a human being was starting to get defined by what the scale said to me.  As I was talking to a friend at work today and was telling her about the scale in my house, I soon realized it was meaning too much to me.  So, I commit to only weighing once a week at the clinic and I have now gotten rid of my scale.  This last week was certainly better for me in terms of not worrying about the numbers, but it's just not good for me to hold on to that scale.  There's no point in it and it's better for me to do this in a very healthy way.  So it's gone, gone, gone!

4 comments:

Truth Teller said...

I can relate. I have no scale. I know I will get obsessed with it! You are an inspiration, Kathy!!! xo

Kathy said...

Thank you! It's funny the things we can get obsessed with, isn't it?

Melissa said...

Well, you should now how I feel about scales -- shoot 'em! (Love your photo BTW.) I detest them mostly because we can fall into that "numbers trap" where we definite our self-esteem by a lower number. That's crazy thinking. So glad you sent your scale packing -- at least for now. Revel in who you are!

Kathy said...

Hey Melissa ;-) That scale makes me crazy, that's for sure. I have really wanted to get on it this week ... I haven't. I can feel the weight loss on my clothes and that'll be fine for now until I weigh in on Monday.

Post a Comment