Thursday, September 5, 2013

Unsolicited advice

Sometimes I just have to laugh.  Ha ha ha.  The thing that makes me chuckle is people who think they are trying to be helpful, unsolicited or otherwise, when they see an overweight person.  I was in Wal-Mart attempting to buy a few things I needed, and, okay, some other things maybe I didn't need ;-)  I hate going there and really limit my trips but I really needed to go today.  So one of the things I bought because I thought it looked pretty awesome was a set of two salad bowls with built in dresser containers and forks like this one.


Pretty cool.  So when I went to check-out, the cashier made a comment when she saw the salad bowls about how all of your meals such center around a salad.  Then she asked me if I heard anything about the 2/500 diet plan.  I told her I hadn't heard of that one, just trying to be polite you know.  She then proceeds to tell me she saw a segment on PBS last night about this plan where you pick two non-consecutive days per week where you eat no more than 500 calories and how fabulous it's supposed to be.  She then told me how Sprouts is having a sale on Walden Farms products and how great it is because you can eat as much of their products as you want.  She went on and on as I paid her and eventually started walking away because there were customers behind me.  And what did she do?  Keep talking to me, loudly, as I was walking away from her register.  

So my question is why is this okay?  Obviously I have every intention of eating salad because I'm buying the freaking neato container to do so.  This is not the only time these sorts of conversations have happened with me with total strangers.  It's just weird, at least to me.  Even though I have this blog, I really am one of these people who wants to do her weight-loss program quietly.  I tell people for the support I know they will give me, but I certainly don't want to be the center of attention while doing it.  When I write here, it is to get my feelings out but definitely not to draw attention to myself.  I don't know, it sort of annoyed me I think mostly because people can clearly see I struggle with weight when they see me.  Even though I am working on reversing that, it just bothers me that complete strangers think it's okay to have a conversation about weight loss with me.  Just my pet peeve.

On a positive note, I was up in the middle of the night last night/this morning (ha - that doesn't sound positive) and I happened to flip on the TV to an interview Valerie Bertinelli was doing on the Today show about how much gratitude she owes to Jenny Craig about her weight loss.  It was exactly what I needed to hear in the moment because I'm on a real kick with the program.  I'm feeling really good about my decision to go on it and am feeling pretty comfy with all the food now.  I never thought I'd say that!  It felt like a mound of food in the beginning and it still is a lot of food, but I'm really starting to get why we eat so much.  The weight is continuing to come off and I'm really excited about that.  It's nice to see that scale number get less and less each day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment