Thursday, May 3, 2012

Made for walking

The changes that have come over me in the last few months are pretty amazing.  Sometimes I will look in the mirror as I walk by one and hardly recognize myself.  That's not a bad thing.  I can see the pounds just dripping off my body, clothes that had no hope of fitting before now hang loose and people smile at me a lot more.  The latter part could be because I'm smiling at them more, hard to say.  Here's another weird one ... I started looking online tonight for local San Diego 5K events to participate in this year.  I know, I know ... weird.  This from a girl who just a few months ago would get winded after a few blocks, sadly.  Now, I can't wait to get out there and walk. 

Coronado Bridge, San Diego
Years ago, when I was losing serious weight before, I routinely particpated in 5K's.  I did things like walked over the Coronado Bridge here in San Diego, jogged in the rain during a Susan G. Komen breast cancer walk and just really was happy to do all of it.  Inside of me has always been a healthy, athletic girl who wants to participate in life more, who wants to take good care of her body.  I actually like the exercise and feel so good when I take care of myself. Actually, that's not true ... I know exactly what happened to me.  Food was a way of coping with things that might have been too difficult to talk about or even face.  Now I'm excited about the journey ahead of me. 

I've been looking at the walks coming up this year and I already see some I want to participate in.  There's one in particular that I didn't even know existed that I know in my heart I will be doing, which is a walk to find a cure for melanoma.  Given I am a melanoma cancer survivor from just last year, that speaks to my heart.  A lot of the 5K's are for worthy causes, but you bet I am going to be out there joining in the fight for something that is near and dear to me.  I'm pretty sure they have a diabetes one as well.  If you haven't figured it out already, I'm excited about throwing my hat back in the 5K ring!

3 comments:

Truth Teller said...

That sounds great. How do you handle any issues that come up now, when you can't turn to food?

Kathy said...

One of the biggest things that works for me is this blog. I need to write about what is going on and the things I'm feeling inside because I don't want to gain the weight back after I'm doine losing it. I talk to friends, I pray to God. I essentially do the things that I need to so that food doesn't have the power it has always has. I know if I can get through tough stuff while on Optifast, it will only be positive for me when I go back to food. How about you?

Melissa said...

You go girl!

Post a Comment