Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Continuing where I left off

Last night I posted that my blood sugar was low before going to bed.  Unfortunately, I had a very difficult time keeping it regulated and my pulse was absolutely racing.  Every time I laid down to try to go to sleep, it felt like my heart was going a mile a minute.  I did check it several times and it was completely normal, so I'm pretty sure it's associated with the low blood sugar.  Having a fast heartbeat is one of the symptoms.  Right before I went to bed, I took pain medication that has a side effecting of making me drowsy.  However, as much as I tried, I couldn't sleep all night long.  I finally did fall asleep after I turned my alarm off, so I had to book it to get to work on time this morning.  So I was a walking zombie all day long.  Tomorrow I will be working from home because I'm getting my furnace replaced.  It's time for me to say goodbye to this 41-year-old relic.

At least I won't have to rush to head down to work since I'll be doing computer work from my guest bedroom while they work on taking this old furnace out and putting a brand new one in.  They have to do three modifications to the area, so who knows how long this will be.  They gave me a four-hour window of time that they'll show up, but because of all the work they need to do, I have a feeling this will be a day-long expedition.  What I can say is that I'm grateful that I kept up the home warranty after I bought the house.  Just in replacing the air conditioning and furnace alone, it saved me about $9,000.  Well worth keeping this insurance policy going year after year. 

On a separate note, tonight was the first session of another semester at school.  It's actually my last one.  I do have two classes I'll be taking this summer, but they're only six weeks long so I feel like I'm starting to cross the finish line.  Tonight's class was in a lecture hall at the university.  That's pretty unusual for an upper division communications class, but it was packed in there.  We had 145 people in the class and I have to say that I felt extremely old!  I'm not old at 41, but it's an earlier class at 4 in the afternoon, so I think it's in between the time that young kids go to class and older adults take evening courses.  I'd say the median age in that room was probably 20.  I do have to say that I felt really uncomfortable in my seat.  Here's what the seats look like.



I'm sitting in the bottom right corner one.  The desks are attached to the seats and I definitely have enough room for it to fit over my lap.  But after about an hour or so in the chair, I noticed my backside started hurting.  That has happened to me a lot since I started losing weight.  I think it's less padding or it might have to do with my bad back connected to other muscles.  To be truthful, I wanted to drop the class and get into another one because of how uncomfortable I was feeling with the chair, except no other classes are available that will satisfy graduation requirements.  So I'm going to have to stick it out somehow and just remind myself that I only have to sit in that seat for one class session during the week.  We will also be working in groups a lot since it's a communications class, so that might help break up all the sitting.  Be uncomfortable is not something I like to do, but I do know there are reasons behind it.

I'm praying I get some sleep tonight.  My blood sugar is fine right now, so maybe I'll sleep like a baby tonight.  Dare to dream!

0 comments:

Post a Comment