Sunday, November 25, 2012

Back to my normal life

I'm back home from vacation and I'm definitely glad to have my own bed again.  I enjoyed spending time with my family, but I also was ready to come home.  The whole time we were there was about eating food, preparing food or thinking about what to prepare for food.  Not for me ... for them.  For me it was about making choices, even during the holidays, to be in a healthier space.  I made sure to get in a good amount of exercise every day except for today when we were traveling back home.  I also stuck to my Optifast program.  It was difficult to do, but I knew I made the right decision for myself and my health.  The difficult part for me was that I felt left out in a lot of the activities going on.  They tried to include me, but I was the only one not eating, so it was uncomfortable for me and for them.  Even if I had decided to eat, would it just be the Thanksgiving meal or the other meals that were made?  For example, my mother, who is Filipino, made lumpia, shrimp, pancet, chicken adobo and white race yesterday for a feast at my brother's house.  Should I have picked that over the Thanksgiving meal?  Instead, I went to Vegas with a plan to celebrate being together and to count my blessings, but to stick to my plan of eating.  If I would have allowed myself the indulgence of what they were eating since there was really nothing healthy on the plates, it would have been license for me to go ahead and just throw caution to the wind.  I'm not saying that wasn't okay for other people to do who are also doing Optifast or similar weight loss programs ... it's just that for me, this was the decision I needed to make for my long term care.  I am an overeater and I don't kid myself that I get to indulge for one day or one weekend because who knows if I'll have the courage to get right back on track.  Lord knows I haven't been able to do that before.

When I got home from my trip, I had plans to take a nice hot shower since we left Vegas really early this morning to beat the traffic.  Unfortunately for me, there was not hot water in my house.  It was fine on Thanksgiving morning, but now there's nothing.  I reset the circuit breakers, checked the switches on the hot water heater, even turned up the temperature of the water.  So I resorted to taking a cold shower.  That was NOT a good thing to do, trust me on that one.  Thankfully I have a home warranty that I always renew every year (thank you God!) and I can take a shower at the gym if I can't find any other place to do it.  If you have a home warranty, please keep it up!  I have saved thousands of dollars in repairs by keeping mine current.  Since I bought my house, it's saved me almost $7,000.  I'd say it's worth it.  I don't want to deal with it, but I can't put my head in the sand wishing it would go away.  Part of being a grown up who owns her house I guess.  After a lovely week off, this was not the way I wanted to end it but oh well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment