Thursday, August 2, 2012

You've got to be kidding me

I started out today in a pretty good mood, just jumping out of bed, hopping in the shower and getting ready for work.  My garage is detached, so I pulled out the opener and started to wait for the door to pull all the way up before I drove off to the office.  It went up about an inch and then stopped.  Hmm, that was weird.  I hit the button again and it went down.  Hit it again and then ... nothing.  I could hear the opener working, but there was no movement.  And, as you probably have already guessed, my car was in there.  Well damn!

I went into the house and calmly called the home warranty company.  Thankfully, I made the smart decision to keep current on my home warranty after it expired the first year in the house.  It has saved me thousands of dollars and it covers the garage door opener.  This happened so early in the morning that the garage door company wasn't even open yet.  So I waited and I paced.  I just returned to work yesterday after summer break.  I am in the middle of an office move and have a lot going on before the kids return to the high school where I work, so I was antsy for someone to come out.  Turns out the soonest the company could get someone out to the house was tomorrow between 8am-12pm.  I tried getting a car rental, but the cheapest I could find one on short notice was $85/day.  Um, no thank you. So, I ended up being stuck at home.  The principal at work was so great about it, as I knew he likely would be.  It was just me feeling antsy.  Of course, there are a  million things I can do at home, but it was just that feeling of being caged that got to me.

I decided to change out of my clothes into something more comfy since I wasn't going anywhere and thought it would be a great time to try out the new resistance bands and fitness ball that I got yesterday.  I pulled out the ball and the pump and started putting that together first.  As I'm pumping it, manually mind you, I thought to myself, "There's no way this ball is going to sustain my weight."  But, I put it to the side after I was done and popped in the DVD that came with the kit.  On the TV appeared this very slender woman, maybe weighing 100 pounds soaking wet, and started showing a strength training workout using all of the bands and ball.  I'm looking at this video and thinking to myself that these people are out of their ever lovin minds if they think I'm going to be able to do half of what she was doing.  There were things like sitting on the ball while stretching out my opposite hand and foot with the band at the same time, laying on my back on the ball while doing sit-up motions (just not extending the whole way), sliding down the ball chest down and then pulling my torso off the ball and more. 

I almost laughed out loud as I grabbed the ball and sat on it.  Despite my protests, it more than sustained my weight.  Okay, so far, so good.  Then I slowly started copying what they were showing in the video.  Miraculously, I was able to keep up with the exercises.  In fact, I was able to do them all.  What seemed like the most ridiculous thing in the world not just five minutes before became something I could do.  I sort of smiled to myself as I rolled on top of that ball, seeing muscles in my legs and arms that even shocked me.  Baby, you're a firework!

Afterwards, I went out to the backyard and did a little gardening and then sat in the sun with a drink and a book.  Previously, I would have taken the opportunity dealing with the stress I had been feeling in the morning by eating.  I would have likely grazed all day on this piece of whatever or that bag of whatever.  Instead, I chose to do the healthy things I did.  The change in my life has become habitual, where I am finding new outlets and different ways to deal with things.  I must admit, not having regret over overeating is a great feeling.  That's no way to live and that's exactly what I did before, all the time.


Post a Comment