Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Well this stinks!

I'm still sick, still trying to cough up a lung.  Okay, not really, but it sure does feel like it.  I fought myself and stayed home from work today, which I really needed to do.  Just a little bit of talking sends me into violent coughing episodes as evidenced but the couple of people who called me today to check on how I was doing.  Yeah, I'll probably let those calls go to voicemail next time and then just text them back.

At the end of the day, not feeling ready to return to work, I called my supervisor to talk about whether or not I should come in tomorrow.  Everything in me says to stay home one more day - you don't need to prove you've got the biggest balls around town.  Sorry!  Ha ha.  Yet there was another part that feels bad about being out two days.  For the most part, my job is pretty self-enclosed so if I'm not there, my work doesn't get done but it doesn't impact other peoples' workloads right away.  Of course, I did have a workshop scheduled with some of our families but thankfully a few of my lovely co-workers said they would cover it for me.  So when I called my boss, I left her probably the most pathetic voicemail ever:

"Hi, it's Kathy. [cough, cough].  Sorry I missed you but [cough, hack, cough] I think I should stay home tomorrow because [huge cough] I'm still not feeling well.  Sorry about all the [mother freakin cough from who knows where] coughing.  I just feel bad for missing too much work.  Please [cough, wheeze, cough more] text me to let me know what you'd like me to do.  Thanks! [last cough for good measure]."

Not only was the message sad but my voice is even worse.  I'm hoarse and sound incredibly sick.  Pretty clear that I should be staying home, right?  Her response?  A text:

"Kathy please take care of yourself!  We can manage for another day!"

She was way too polite to say, "Hey girl, you sound like shit.  You better stay home and away from us!"  So I'll be staying bundled up tomorrow with my two sweet kitties watching guard over me.  They have been so protective with me.

In the middle of all of this, though, has come another medical issue.  Not a great way to start out the year after having so many medical things going on last year.  This is going to be TMI and I'm super sorry about that.  I sent an e-mail to my doctor telling her that I'm sick right now, but I've just started my third period in the course of one month and that has me concerned because I don't think that's normal.  I got a call back from her nurse, who insisted on discussing this over the phone instead of e-mail even though she could hear how sick I am.  So my phone call with her was a repeat of the message I left for my supervisor multiplied by ten.  Now I'm waiting to get another message to find out what my doctor wants to do.  I'm pretty sure she'll want to run tests at the very least, if not do something more invasive.  Ah, the joys of being a girl.

Keep good thoughts for me please.  At least I can say that I have no appetite to eat so maybe I've dropped a couple of pounds.  I know, ever focused on my weight.  I am so glad I'm moving forward with the gastric bypass soon.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you can use this time to heal and feel better. Good that you can still see a silver lining!

Post a Comment