Sunday, March 31, 2013

Taking the time to prepare

I have found that the best way to ensure I have a good day of eating is to plan what I will be eating and make my lunch the night before.  I have tried many times to make a lunch in the morning before heading off to work, but it kills me and I tend to rush through so my choices are not always the best.  I remember times of making a stir fry at 5:00 in the morning.  I can't express how not of a morning person I am, so it's either not enough food or not the right kind of food.  I actually tend to lean on the side of not enough food and then I end up really hungry by the time I get home from work and want to start grazing in the kitchen.  One of the things I did tonight was to brown some lean ground turkey, weigh and measure three-ounce portions into containers and put them in the fridge.  I will add that to a salad, which I have already made for tomorrow as well as portioned out salad dressing.  I'll add a piece of fruit to that and - boom - I've got lunch.  It just amazes me how many meals I can get out of a package when I weigh and measure out portions.  In one package for the ground turkey, I was able to make enough for five meals.  Three ounces is actually a lot and didn't feel like I was depriving myself at all.

I have been on vacation for the last week, so while I'm not necessarily looking forward to going back to work, I am looking forward to getting back to the routine of regular daily life.  I know it's going to be busy at work, but I always do so much better with structure.  During vacation, I tend to eat meals later, may even end up skipping some food because of activities so I do look forward to being more on a normal, even keel.  I'm also looking forward to walking during lunch.  My friend and I usually end up walking 1.5-3 miles, depending on which course we take.  Occasionally I have even gone out alone if she isn't able to go.  The most important thing is that I get out there and walk.  Then, depending on my day, I may also get more exercise at the gym or do some weight training later on in the evening.  I just have to gauge how my body feels.  I have to listen to it.  If I'm in too much pain but have already gotten some exercise, then I need to be okay with that.  I aim for at least thirty minutes of exercise every day in some form or another.  I have had times in my life where I was an over-exerciser, an "exercise bulimic"some have called it.  I rationalized that if one hour of working out was good, two, three or more was even better.  That is a dangerous place for me to be.  I understand that it does not have to be black or white, even in exercise.

For this coming week, I am committing here that I will make my lunch the night before and make a plan for some exercise.  I generally do that, but I want to remember how important it is for me to take good care of my body.  It's the only one I have and it gives me the best chance of being as healthy as possible every single day.  In fact, when I do a good job of planning, I actually enjoy my meals a lot more.  Have you noticed that for yourself?  When I have strawberries now, for example, they are incredibly sweet and delicious.  I never notice how fantastic fruits and veggies taste when I'm not doing well with having nutritious meals.  They don't have to be boring to be good for me.  I spent so many years just not treating myself well with eating junk and I know I deserve so much better than that.  Especially with today being Easter, I can't take sacrifices made for granted.  I have made my own sacrifices, spending a year in the Optifast world and I don't want to lose the significance of that. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment