Friday, April 25, 2014

The sun does a body good

I don't know about you, but I'm so glad the weekend is here.  I have had a busy week at work and it's only going to get busier as we move into May.  That's what happens when you work at in the counseling department of a big high school.  As much as the kids count down to the end of the school year, so do we!  One of the projects I'm in charge of for the end of the year is our senior awards ceremony.  Except for emceeing the event and handling the food, I take care of every other aspect.  That means sending out invitations, coordinating all the data for the awards, writing the speech and everything in between.  It's surprising how many little things go into an event.  Thankfully I have three student office assistants assigned to me so I can have them help.  I also have a lot of seniors coming in to talk about alternate plans for next fall since they didn't get into certain colleges or pulling kids in because I need to revoke their work permits due to failing grades and unexcused attendance issues.  It's a stressful time with not enough hours in the day it seems.

The weekend is a time for me when I can avoid thinking about any of that and, instead, focus on me.  I'm not saying that in a selfish way (even though it sounds like it).  What I mean is that my self-care tends to take a backseat a lot of the times.  I try to do the best I can with being healthy, but sometimes it's a real fight to do that or even want to do that.  I asked my friend to go walking with me at lunch today, even though I really didn't want to pull away from the work I was doing.  The fact of the matter was, though, that I needed to get away from my desk and get some fresh air.  So we walked down to a strip mall about a mile from the high school and had lunch outdoors in the sun.  This is the yummy deliciousness I had.


Yes, it was as good as it looks.  It's a Mediterranean chicken salad with greens, tomatoes, couscous and feta cheese.  I was good and asked for the feta cheese to come on the side.  I sprinkled just a tiny bit on it, squirted the lemon on top and it was amazing.  I couldn't eat the whole thing, though.  Trust me, I would have totally done that before but it was just so filling that it was impossible for me to do.  Afterwards, we walked back to the office and I was able to resume my work, feeling refreshed with a bit of sun, two miles walked and a full tummy.  

I don't have plans already set for this weekend, but I do plan on getting in some good exercise.  That probably includes a beach walk and avoiding my annual HOA meeting at home.  I would love to be more supportive, but there is a lot of sitting around waiting for people to show up to have the necessary quarry of owners to move forward.  The unfortunate part is that we sit around for an hour or two, adjourn the meeting when enough don't show up and then reschedule it for a later time.  This happens year after year so I decided two years ago that I wasn't going to just sit around and waste my time.  I'd rather go for a walk than sit around getting mad that more people don't care to show up.  I'm committed to getting in my hour of exercise every day, even on the weekends.  It does make a difference, not only physically but mentally.  I feel so much better when I take good care of my body.

Water Challenge Day 90:  Drank 178 of 178 ounces

1 comments:

happyinca said...

Way to go Kathy! You give really great examples of self care in the face of real life, and I learn a lot from reading your posts. I hope you have a great rest of the weekend! And that salad, my goodness, THAT is what good food should be.

Post a Comment