Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Dealing with the heat

Today was another hot day for us down here in San Diego county.  At my house, it was 95 degrees.  Before I left for work this morning, I did adjust the thermostat so the AC would kick on for my kitties during the day.  I know, I know ... don't roll your eyes at me!  They are spoiled and I own that.  It was set to 78 degrees though so it's not like I left the house at 60 degrees all day.  Besides, I love them and want them comfy.  When they came into my life, they were at the Humane Society for fourteen months after someone had abandoned them.  They get the royal treatment.



Instead of walking during lunch, my friend and I decided to just drive to a local restaurant so that we wouldn't be dripping in sweat for the rest of the day.  I must say, I had the most delicious meal.  While it's not always easy to find healthy foods in restaurants, it is possible.  My lunch was from Rubio's, a popular place in southern California with restaurants practically in every community it seems like.  They're actually well known for their fish tacos, but they have other great choices as well as some other not so great choices.  I mean, some of their burritos have about 900 calories and nearly 2,000 mg of sodium.  Um, not for me!  My choice today was a balsamic roasted vegetable salad with chicken.  It had corn, grilled peppers, avocado, a spring mix with butter lettuce, grilled chicken and a very light balsamic vinaigrette.  All for 300 calories.  I know the picture doesn't do it justice ... trust me, you just have to try it.


I'm so thrilled that I can make wise choices that leave me feeling good about what I'm doing instead of punishing myself for picking something fried, slathered in sauce or some other selection that I will regret.  Little by little, these choices help me make a habit of living a healthier lifestyle. I felt so much better physically today as well.  I had a great workout at home in front of my fan and I have to say that I loved that.  Not only was a willing to still get my sweat on even though it was blazing outside but I took care of myself enough to know that I don't have to kill myself in the process.  I would have been absolutely miserable had I done it outside.  I'm so grateful for each new day to take good care of my body.  It deserves the TLC.

Water Challenge Day 96:  Drank 173 of 173 ounces

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yumm! I love a good salad. It's one of my truly great pleasures in life now to BUY a fancy salad from a restaurant or cafe. Always seems so much nicer than anything I can make myself! Yum!

Great choices today! Well done. Look how great you've been doing with your water challenge! Remember when you started?

Kathy said...

I do remember Caitlin. Going from having to force water drinking to doing it naturally is such a huge change! And I'm with you ... I'd rather someone make me a yummy salad versus me throwing it together.

Post a Comment