Friday, June 28, 2013

Busy week for me

Things have been pretty intense this past week.  I was hoping to post more, but it just didn't happen for me.  The work involved in my summer classes is a lot, more than I initially thought.  I'm handling it, but my nose is in books quite a bit.  At least it keeps me out of trouble during the summer time.  One of my friends and I are going to spend our last week of vacation in the beginning of August on a road trip.  It will be a great way to cap off a busy six weeks of classwork.  We haven't figured out where to go just yet, but we're thinking things like heading out to Utah where my folks live, up to Santa Cruz, Yosemite or even Lake Tahoe.  I'm thinking we'll probably head to cooler places since it's already been hot and the summer is just getting started.  Last summer we went into the Monterey/San Simeon area and the cool weather was lovely. 

I still have significant pain in my legs and what I have realized is that, as much as I don't want to do this, I'm going to have to cut back on the distance I walk or how strenuous I make a workout.  At least for the time being.  I'm so used to walking 3, 4 or 5 miles and right now that is absolutely killing the part of my legs where I have pain.  Since they can't quite figure out what's going on and, trust me, I've been through every test known to man, I have got to just be kinder and gentler to my own body.  I think there's a huge part of me, if I'm being completely honest, that is sort of guilting my body into working out harder and longer.  There's a voice that says, "If you want to get the excess weight off, you have to walk faster, walk longer, hit the gym more."  And that really isn't helping me because when I start to feel the pain in my legs really get intense, then I feel horrible.  Besides, there's nothing that says I have to walk three miles each time.  Even a mile is great.  I know I'll build up to more in time, just as I did when I originally began Optifast.  Am I a black or white thinker?  Duh!  I'm working on it.

In the meantime, I also started the wheels turning towards applying to grad school.  I have begun dropping off the recommendation forms to the three people I have chosen to write them for my application.  They need to be either professors or people who have supervised me.  I think my workplace experience is much more extensive, so I chose three supervisors.  All of the writers happen to now be principals and I have worked closely with each one, so I'm sure those recommendations will be positive.  I then have to take the CBEST in two weeks, otherwise they don't offer it again until September ... after the application is due.  I still have to get a certificate of clearance (background check) and write a vitae and five-page essay.  I'm trying really hard not to let it all stress me out because this next step in my life is very positive and something I am looking forward to doing.  I really feel blessed to have this opportunity to pursue something that feels like my calling.  Everything has fallen into place and I am choosing to embrace that. 

My food has been really good through all of this.  I'm staying gluten free and lactose free.  It's a challenge a lot of the times and makes things more difficult when choosing food, but I'm doing it.  I'm committed to being healthy in every way possible.  Anyway, busy, busy, busy. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment