Monday, August 11, 2014

I have a surgery date!!

As I posted in my last update, I have been impatiently waiting for that phone to ring to schedule my gastric bypass surgery.  I went back to work today after a two month summer break.  It was nice to get away from my head and focus on other things.  The only problem is that I seemed to think about it more!  I had my cell phone in my pocket everywhere I walked today when I was in the office ... to the copy machine, bathroom, health office.  I admit it - I was obsessed.  Finally, at about 1:30 p.m., after I knew Pacific Bariatric staff were back from lunch, I just couldn't stand it another minute and decided to call.  What, you're surprised?  LOL

When I got on the phone, I was very casual with them, "Hi, I'm just calling to see if we were ready to schedule my surgery!"  Be light and breezy, Kathy.  The surgeon had given them the slip that morning to schedule me.  When the person helping me asked me if I wanted a specific date or just the next available surgery date, I figured it would be weeks so I asked for the next available.  She told me that she would call over to the hospital to check on availability, but that it looked like they had next Friday open.  WTF, next Friday??  Wow.  So, long story short, here I am, booked to have my surgery on Friday, August 22nd at 7:30 a.m. I have to check in at 5:30 a.m. which means I will be getting up that morning at about 4:15.  As if I'm actually going to sleep!

When I got off the phone, I was in a state of shock I think.  It registered with me, but it wasn't really registering with me.  That's less than two weeks away.  I got up from my desk and proceeded to tell my bosses and co-workers in the office.  Amazingly, I wasn't anywhere as anxious as I imagined I would be at that moment. I was feeling nervous, sure, just like anyone else would be in my position.  I believe strongly that my faith, strong support system, this blog and mindfulness classes have really help me stay in the moment as much as possible.  I need to remember to breathe and put one foot in front of the other.  Of course I will be continuing to write about it all here.  If you are a praying person, I ask that you send whatever prayers you can for me to give me strength as I walk through something I thought I would never be brave enough to walk towards.  Stay tuned for more.

2 comments:

happyinca said...

Joyful, healthful prayers sent and re-sent! I'm so happy for you -- you're going to do great. Congratulations Kathy!

Kathy said...

Thank you Christy! I'm excited and can't wait for next Friday.

Post a Comment