Sunday, August 17, 2014

Three restaurants in two days

I just need to put this out there and tell you that I have to be careful.  Now that I'm in the last few days before the surgery, people have been wanting to spend time with me and we've been doing it at restaurants.  No one is dragging me there, I'm going of my own free will.  I want to spend the time with them, but part of me also wonders if I want to spend the time with those foods as a sort of goodbye party.  We very well could have gone to Starbucks to get iced tea.  Between yesterday and today, I've been to three separate restaurants.  Last night it was a buffet with my mom, breakfast with one dear friend this morning and lunch with another this afternoon.  I actually didn't do as horribly as I could have.  I didn't even have dessert at the buffet and, trust me, I wanted it.  They had a whole section on delectable desserts.  I kept telling myself, "It'll be your last time to have these things for a very long time, if ever."  Since I'm having the gastric bypass, my body will likely reject any sugary types of foods.  Then I got to a point when I was sitting there with my mom where I knew I didn't really want it.  I don't have to gorge myself.  The only real splurge I had between the three meals was a lovely strawberry margarita.



Margaritas are my downfall at Mexican restaurants.  It's not the alcohol as much, I'm guessing, as the sugar.  After I had it, I could feel my blood sugar going up and I definitely didn't like that.  Oh the power of food.  I feel so much better when I have good tasting food that is nourishing for my body.  I don't want to sit in any regret and I definitely don't want to gain any weight before the surgery on Friday.  So, okay, I'm owning it by being honest on here.

Despite the food part, I have enjoyed spending time with people that mean a lot to me.  Those moments are so precious and taken for granted far too often.  The friends from my pre-op class are having a get-together tomorrow evening and I want to do everything I can to get myself there.  I have so much work to do before my last day on Wednesday, but it's also very important for me to spend time with them as well.  Not only have they become dear friends, but they know exactly what I'm going through because they are going through the same thing.  Between this week and next, five of us are going to have our surgeries, with more to follow afterwards.  It's such a surreal feeling to know these months of build up are finally coming up to the main event.  I am so ready to do it and can't wait for Friday.

2 comments:

Post a Comment