Saturday, February 23, 2013

Feeling like a little kid

I had to take my car in today to get some servicing done.  My mom has had the flu, so we haven't been able to go together so that I can help her get the car fixed but I have at least convinced her to trust me and take the Accord to the place where I get my Element fixed.  I figured it out today while I was waiting for my car and I've been with the same two guys for 24 years of car servicing.  They were the service managers at a local Honda dealership where my dad bought a Honda.  They eventually opened up their own business specializing in Hondas and Acuras, so I have been dealing with them since I had my first Honda at 17.  My mom believes that no one is going to take advantage of her because she's older so she's not understanding why I want her to see my guys.  Oh mother!  If anything, you have to love her for being so cute.  I said to her, "Mother (she knows she's in trouble when I call her mother and not mom), just trust me, please."  Turns out that they will be saving her $150.  Vindication.

While I was waiting for my car, I was on my iPhone reading blogs.  It was a great way to catch up and so the time seemed to go so fast.  It's great to spend the time to see what other people are doing with their blogs or just even the things they are talking about.  Sometimes I do feel like maybe I do a bit of oversharing, but it made me feel better to know that I'm one of many that share very personal things as they become healthier or find themselves in other ways.  The truth is that if someone feels like I share too much, they always have the option of not reading the entry.  As I've always said, the blog is for me first, but I know it is read by many others as well.

One idea that I got from a blog some time ago (and I'm sorry for not giving credit to the person with the idea but I can't remember who it was) was that the person did some toning in their tummy from a hula hoop.  I thought to myself, How fun is that!  That's a great way to get some exercise in without it feeling like exercise. The last time I had a hula hoop was when I was probably 8 or 9 years old.  Mine was pink and white, like this one.

In fact, I had just as much fun as this little girl seems to be having.  When I was a little girl, I always managed to have fun with my friends, even in the chaos of what was going on in my household.  It's like it was an outlet of sorts.  That is a long time away from a hula hoop.  When I was in Walmart today, I saw a stand full of them and I gleefully put one in my cart.  When I got home, I realized it was a Wave Hoop.  What's that?  There's water in the tube instead of whatever annoying little contraption they have in regular hula hoops that makes them noisy.  I guess the water is supposed to help keep it up longer.

I got home and wanted to try it out and discovered something ... I'm not a kid anymore.  Shocker, right?  I used to do the hula hoop with ease and this thing felt impossible to me.  I have been on Youtube looking up wave hoops and all of these kids make it look so easy.  I was giggling at myself - here I am wondering how a child can do it and I was struggling.  Practice makes perfect I guess.  And, if anything, it's making me laugh and we all need a little more laughter in our lives.  Whether I master it or not (and I am bound and determined to get that thing up and staying up), it is great exercise and, I'm sorry, FUN!

0 comments:

Post a Comment